Wednesday, December 2, 2009

WiFi Drivers

What you will need:
1 linux PC (Ubuntu)
1Windows PC
1flash drive
Wired Internet connection (for setup)

If you Just want to know How to install the Drivers skip to the bottom of the page:
_______________________________________________________
Today I found A big problem,

I was at school, and Took out my laptop, booted into Linux, and noticed something,
the WiFi would not work!!!

this was bad, because I had no Ethernet cable and the only other option was the computer lab.

While there is nothing wrong with the computer lab, It is often full of people, so I have no way of going online!



So when I got home I searched through the ubuntu forms, and read many posts, and finally found an answer!

A Linux program, that lets you install windows drivers on ubuntu!!!

I read the directions, and it said to download an install "NDISWrapper"

Run this in terminal:

Sudo Apt-get install ndisgtk


then I got a new entry in my menu (Applications > system > Windows Wireless Drivers)

ubuntu users go here (System → Administration → Windows Wireless Drivers)

I clicked on "install new drivers"

that's when I discovered I needed to download the drivers from the Manufactures website:

I had a Dell Vostro 1310, A discontinued laptop, so I went to the dell website, looked up the computer model, and found a tab (button on the page) called "drivers and downloads" or something like that; that took me to the drivers page for that laptop, I then saw a list of all the drivers for EVERYTHING on the laptop, cd drive, touchpad, graphics card, and finally "Network", so I downloaded the drivers for the Wlan card, and I got an EXE file.

Since, Linux Dose not support EXE's (without WINE), I diced to copy it to my usb flash drive, and run it on windows.

So I booted up my windows PC, and loaded up the file, and the only option was to "Install the Drivers" I wanted to install the Drivers, BUT NOT TO WINDOWS!!! so I found a Program called "Universal Extractor", (this tool lets you open Installer files, and take out the files you need)

So I opened Universal Extractor, and I loaded my "Drivers install thing" and after about a minute I had a new folder!(folder is in same place as your driver install program)
I copied the new folder, onto my flash drive and plunged it into my Linux PC,

And I Reopened, "windows wireless drivers", clicked "install new driver" and the web page I was reading said to find a file ending in ".inf" (usually in a folder called USA, or 32bit or 32...)
I found it and installed.

Then GUESS WHAT????


... nothing happened....
So, I searched the web again, and I found a page saying that all installed windows drivers must be Installed, and "ACTIVATED!!!! Ohh, so they told me to look through my "Applications" menu for something called "Hardware Drivers", I found it, and opened it,

and Sure enough, the drivers were installed but not active, so I activated them, and my computer crashed!!!, although the Wifi, light did Light up....

So I went back the the web page on Installing windows drivers, and in small print, at the bottom of the page, it says, "Make sure the Drivers You install are For XP, and NOT for Vista"

I was Very upset about this, so I went back to dell's drivers page, and found a box labeled Operating system: the (since the PC was released after Vista came out, the box showed the words "WINDOWS VISTA") so I changed it to "windows XP" and re- downloaded the drivers.
And I had to uninstall The vista ones from linux...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here 's how you are supose to install Windows Drivers on ubuntu:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run this in terminal:

Sudo Apt-get install ndisgtk

(on windows:)
Go to your PC Manufacturers website, Find the drivers/Downloads page, and find your PC.
Download the "WINDOWS XP" version of the drivers:

If you get an EXE file, use
"Universal Extractor", to open it;

copy the new folder you get to your Linux PC (with a USB flash drive)

open "
System → Administration → Windows Wireless Drivers"

click "install New Driver" and browse to a .inf file in your new folder
(it may be in a sub-folder called USA or 32...)

Activate the new drivers from within; "Hardware Drivers" (check the "applicatons:" menu)

Reboot your PC!
-------------------
that's it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment